Dry mouth is no fun. Yet, millions of people suffer from mouth dryness. And if we talk about the time at which this condition gets worse, it’s the night time. This condition is not only uncomfortable and painful but it can also lead to some oral and dental health conditions such as gum disease and cavities. So, it is pretty much an essential requirement to get this condition of mouth dryness at night treated.
Reasons and signs of dry mouth
One thing that you have to keep in mind is that saliva is an important part of your oral cavity. The lack of saliva can result in dry mouth which can further lead to several oral health issues. One thing worth mentioning here is that the lack of saliva can lead to bad bacteria taking control of the bacterial balance of your mouth. These bacteria stick to the teeth and cause tooth decay. The acid they release is bad not only for your teeth but also for the entire mouth.
Despite the fact that mouth dryness can be pretty dangerous, it is not a health condition. Rather, it is side effect of certain medications or a byproduct of certain diseases. Mouth dryness can occur due to smoking, use of certain medications, radiation treatment, aging and certain diseases such as diabetes and Parkinson’s disease. When you have a dry mouth, you feel thirsty, unable to properly eat and speak, and you have a sticky mouth.
Preventing mouth dryness while sleeping
You may wonder what you can do to avoid mouth dryness during the night sleep. Well, there are some things that you can do during the day to prevent this dryness. For instance:
- You need to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day
- Chewing the sugar free gum can also help you avoid mouth dryness
- Use fluoride toothpaste can help you keep the saliva production stimulated and your teeth strong
- You may find use of mouth washes and toothpastes made for dry mouth helpful
- An artificial saliva product may be helpful. You can either get prescription from the dentist or you can use an over-the-counter product.
- Putting a limit on spicy foods can help
- Alcohol can dry up your mouth. So you can stop using it to get rid of the mouth dryness today
- You need to quit smoking
- If any of the medication you are using is causing mouth dryness, you need to talk to your dentist
- Make sure that you are practicing good oral hygiene.
- Keep water in your access while sleeping. That will help you get rid of the mid-night thirst.
You need to visit your dentist regularly to keep your oral and dental health in check. That will help you stay away from the mouth dryness.